Thursday, July 23, 2009

Art Lesson


OK, so on Saturday we have our last art class. I'm glad to have my Saturdays back, but sad that the class is ending. It has been great. I feel like I've learned a TON of stuff from our teacher, Mr. Kasik. He's not only taught us about art, but also about getting and keeping kids interested by using props, jokes, magic tricks, music, sound effects, etc...etc.....things I would have never thought of before! So, anyways, our last class is going to be all of us teaching an art lesson to our fellow classmates. We only have 15 minutes to do this and that frightens me a bit. Art takes time!! At least for me it does. I've decided to do a lesson that mixes culture, compassion, empathy, creativity and community. We're going to be making "Wishes in the Wind Flags"....and we're going to be giving our finished product to our classmate, Heather, who is expecting a little girl in early August. I'll start the lesson by showing and talking about Tibetan Prayer Flags.....we'll talk a little about their meaning and use in the Tibetan culture. Since we only have 15 minutes, I'll have everything ready to go. All the "students" will have to do is draw/write their "wish" for Heather's baby on their piece of fabric, attach it to the background fabric and string it with the others. It might be more like 20-30 minutes, but it'll be fun!!! I found the idea here.....a newly found FAVORITE blog with tons of great crafty ideas. I'll let you know how it turns out. This is what I have so far........




1 comment:

Megan said...

So glad to see you are blogging! Thanks for the link to my blog as well, I'm honored to be in that list of lovley-ness.
I love your flags, tying them into the Tibetan culture, and sharing them with the baby-to-be. So sweet!